Welcome to Remkus’ Ramblings – helping you find the things you didn’t find 😏.
Let’s get to it.
Today’s Ramblings are sponsored by DLX Plugins. They have one of the neatest solutions with Quotes DLX. Twitter sharing made easy, all inside a Quotes Block. And lot’s of extra features which make it fully customizable and themeable. My other favorite is Comment Edit Pro which now has Cloudflare Turnstile integrated. Love it. I use it on many client sites.
🗞 WordPress News
This is what I caught this week in the WordPress realm.
- Speckyboy offers some thoughts on what to think about when you Redesign a WordPress Multi-site network.
To be honest, that article is a bit light. There are quite a few extra points that should have been discussed to make that a great post. However, it did make me wonder how relevant WordPress Multisite still is. I’ve been using WordPress in Multisite mode since it was a stand-alone version called WordPress MU. In fact, I still own and maintain about a dozen multi-sites instances.
Are you using multi-site instances of WordPress? If so, what for? I’d love for you to reply to this newsletter, but I’d love it even more if you commented on the newsletter article on my site. Genuinely curious. Click on the Read Online link above.
- Felix Arntz published a very extensive write out of how he relaunched his site using a block theme.
Felix offers the opposite of a light article this week. He goes into great detail what he did, why he did it, and how he had “performance” top of his mind while building it.
- There were a couple of blog posts published on the WordPress Developer Blog. Two in particular stood out for me:
I really like the quality of blog posts on the WordPress Developer blog of late. Justin Tadlock and others are adding content that is of absolute value. Justin’s Intrinsic design, theming, and rethinking how to design with WordPress is also a great example of that.
- Last one for this week. If you have not yet familiarized yourself with Patterns inside the WordPress Block Editor yet, you need to start now. Because, like Mike McAlister argues here, they are going to be a game changer.
If you’ve ever done an optimization round on your site and you’ve made it faster, but user engagement didn’t improve, you may be running into what’s known as the performance plateau. I know I have.
Good and thorough post worth checking out and see what parts of it you can use in your world.
💡 Interesting finds
- Who wouldn’t like to learn more about SQL? If only there was a cool way powered by ChatGPT. The tool is free and supports MySQL, MariaDB, SQLite, PostgreSQL, Oracle, and Microsoft SQL Server.
- DocsBot AI. Custom trained ChatGPT to power your support chatbots, reply to support tickets, and more. I see a lot of potential for DocsBot AI, created by Aaron Edwards, in many different scenarios.
🔆 WordPress Highlight
Have you seen InstaWP by Vikas Singhal yet? It’s a wonderful solution that allows you to spin up a WordPress sandbox in less than a second.
One of their beta features is super interesting when you’re monetizing designs. Preview of that feature can be found here. What does it do? Instead of selling a .zip file, you sell a fully functional WordPress site. Yup, you read that right. Jamie Marsland explain it well in his recent YouTube video.
📖 What I am reading
My schedule the last couple of weeks were hectic and thus my book reading came to a halt. However, I have picked it up again and am now close to finishing The Happiness Advantage. Love it so far. Who knew achieving happiness can actually be broken down in a scientifically proven plan of attack.
Will you create the next version of the Avatar movie? Because it sure looks like you can with this tool. Mind. Blown.
That’s it for this week’s ramblings. Thanks for reading!