Round two! As I tweeted last week, I am humbled and very happy with the extremely positive feedback I’ve received so far on the first new newsletter. That, and seeing more than 30 sign up afterwards 😳😄.
Thank you all for reaching out and subscribing 😊. Let’s dive in this week’s ramblings and see what we’ve got.
WordPress News 🗞
- Back in 2010, a Norwegian and two South Africans came to our second WordCamp Netherlands (for which I was the lead) to talk about WooThemes. Well, Adii specifically was going to do the talking, but Magnus and Mark were happy to join him in Utrecht. What we didn’t know then is that WooThemes would in later years rebrand to WooCommerce and ultimately sell their company to Automattic. With that in mind, it was super fun to hear them reminisce on Bob’s podcast. I highly encourage you to listen to it if listening to podcasts is your sort of thing, ofc.
- Speaking of WooCommerce, here’s an interesting project called WooNext. It’s a React WooCommerce theme, built with Next JS, Webpack, Babel, Node, Express, using GraphQL and Apollo Client. If that’s your sort of thing, go check it out.
- UnderStrap, a popular WordPress theme framework, is acquired by Howard Development and Consulting. They explain why here.
- Ben is running a Twitter poll on whether it’s good, bad, or “depends” that we see so many acquisitions in the WordPress ecosphere. Check it out, there’s some interesting comments to that thread as well.
- WordPress 5.8 will add support for WebP. One more step into a more performant WordPress. Still lots of steps to go 🥲.
Interesting finds 💡
- CSS allows you to do pretty cool things nowadays, but did you know you can do word morphing now? I came across this super interesting Codepen. Very cool thing to be able to do in CSS!
- Have you ever wanted to know the path a drop of water follows as it hits the continental US before it reaches the ocean? Yeah, me too. This is from where I lived in the US to the Gulf of Mexico. Funny!
- Work with marketing in any way shape or form? Then, oh lawdy, do I have a site full of marketing resources for you!
- I recently came across Auth0 and it’s a pretty nifty tool that works with WordPress as well. Auth0 is an easy to implement, adaptable authentication and authorization platform with loads of cool features attached.
What I am reading 📖
My reading time is still devoured by one book as reading time was limited in the past week. Still recommend it, though: Outliers – The Story of Success.
Just have one bonus link for you this time around and that’s Thanks for Subscribing. It’s a curated collection, by my buddy Frank Meeuwsen, of newsletters aimed to make your inbox happy again. Now, who doesn’t want that?! #teaminbox0
That’s it for this week’s ramblings. Thanks for reading!