A serious case of food poisoning made this entire week a week of playing catch-up, especially with WordCamp Europe happening next week. But I did my best for number 75 of Inside WordPress for you all.
🗞️ Inside WordPress News
Here’s what I saw happening this past week:
- Did you know you can add an external link to your plugin hosted in the WordPress repository? Apparently it’s been around for a while already. Ronald Huereca published a how-to .
- Carolina Nymark shared a tutorial on how to manage color palettes for you FSE theme on her most excellent Full Site Editing with WordPress blog.
I mean, that site , and I have mentioned this before, is just a treasure trove full of goodies. Seriously good.
- I published a quick blog post about where I rank FSE themes in terms of maturity . This is an answer to Jamie Marsland’s tweet .
- And, if feel you’re not ready for FSE Themes, Bill Erickson has got your back. He’s released a Hybrid WordPress starter theme . It is using theme.json, PHP templates, and ACF blocks, and it has drastically improved their design and dev process, according to Bill.
- Did you know there’s a URL where you can keep track of everything happening with Gutenberg . It’s a great index for understanding what’s coming our way for the next editions of WordPress.
Thanks Birgit for sharing that one !
- Just a very solid reminder that doing performance is not a checklist
My favorite performance optimizing tools in WordPress:
- Best Front-end optimization plugin
- Cleaning up WordPress + script manager
- Cloud based performance optimizations (now with 20% off with WP20 coupon code)
🔆 Inside WordPress Highlight
- I mentioned InstaWP last week, and I am going to do it again this week. But more in context. Human Made shared their AI integration called Altis Accelerate in the Block Editor last during their AI event, and you can play with it too , now. And, in an already configured and installed version, powered by InstaWP .
How neat is that? But yeah, definitely check (both) out.
Some of my favorite WordPress tools:
- The most versatile and accessible form solution for WordPress
- LocalWP, the easiest to use local dev solution
💡 Interesting Finds
- Kim Doyal published an article about the untapped potentials of AI and ChatGPT that I think is worth a read.
Now, normally, I’m very hesitant to share ”another guru’s” take on AI, but for Kim I’ll make an exception. She’s been in the marketing game for over 15 years and she’s legit. I’ve know here for at least that long. So, check it out .
- Those scroll-driven animations? Yeah, you can totally do that with just CSS now .
- Did you know you can group CSS selectors now in one statement instead of one per line? I didn’t 😬
📖 What I am reading
Re-reading parts of Do Hard Things: Why We Get Resilience Wrong and the Surprising Science of Real Toughness again. It was that kind of week.
What many of you probably don’t know is that I have a background in HR. And with that in mind, my most recent published episode of my Within WordPress podcast was a fun and different one. Hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed having the conversation about solving HR for WordPress companies 🎙️.
That’s it for this week’s edition of Inside WordPress. Thanks for reading!