In the week where Brad Williams finally decided to subscribe to my newsletter, I felt the need to step up my game even more. So, I migrated from Mailchimp to ConvertKit. If that’s not a move upwards, I don’t know what is!
So, yeah, things will look different today. But first, check out DLX Plugins:
|Today’s Ramblings are sponsored by DLX Plugins. They have one of the neatest solutions with Quotes DLX. Twitter sharing made easy, all inside a Quotes Block. And lot’s of extra features which make it fully customizable and themeable. My other favorite is Comment Edit Pro which now has Cloudflare Turnstile integrated. Love it. I use it on many client sites.|
Would you also like to sponsor this newsletter, and get in front of more than 575 folks? Let me know!
🗞️ WordPress News
Here’s what stood out for me this week in the world of WordPress:
This is a big deal for WordPress and its future. I’ve talked about it before in my blog post here, but I think the ActivityPub protocol is vital for WordPress’ next phase as a central hub of your online activity.
- Brian Coords argues why you should focus on building Hybrid themes as an agency as Full Site Editing matures.
I’m not fully agreeing with him as I think building FSE themes is a viable route with WordPress 6.2 around the corner, but if you’re not ready yet, his approach is a solid one.
One deep dive article, and one straight-forward one.
- Servebolt published a great article on how to profile SQL queries for better database performance.
Query profiling is a way of analyzing database queries, assessing their performance, and identifying potential problems. And Servebolt’s article is full of solid advice on which methods to use as well as what query optimization techniques to use. Solid read.
- Shopify is publishing some solid content lately on peformance: Improve Largest Contentful Paint (LCP) by removing image transitions.
💡 Interesting Finds
- AI Prompt examples I actually learned from.
There’s been a lot of talk on how prompting is going to be a new type of skillset since the rise of ChatGPT and other AIs. I’d go as far as
- Use Cloudflare tunnels to proxy your localhost application to the outside world with https.
🔆 WordPress Highlight
- I was reminded about two WordPress Dashboard plugins this week. Perhaps either are of interest to you. UIPress & Ultimate Dashboard.
What I am reading
Carl Alexander shared a very interesting read this week. It’s an interview with Kevin Kelly about where he sees the rise of AI going. One of the most interesting reads on AI and its future I’ve seen, if not the most interesting one. Let me know what you think!
That’s it for this week’s Ramblings. Thanks for reading!